Media is going to town..

livespive

Yeah, it's because they spend the money buying vehicles not for training.

What I find interesting is that just a few years ago many of the complainers about police becoming too militarized now wonder how come the military has better close combat training. Can't have both. If we want better trained police then we need to spend more in the training, including military style close proximity combat.

Robadat

I didn't read all 4 pages of this thread, so I'll chime in knowing that there is the possibility that what I am saying may have been covered before now.

There is a woeful issue in policing where training is concerned. First is in the hand-to-hand element of confronting a suspect. One of my dojo training partners is chief of police in a town about 90 minutes from us. He runs his own MA school in the area. He is holding FREE training for police to help cover the hand-to-hand element. One of my instructors drove down yesterday to help teach the class. He was astounded by the degree to which police have NOT been trained to manage aggressive threats. He played the role of an aggressive suspect being handcuffed; he said the only reason he didn't end up handcuffing the officer was because the officer threw the handcuffs across the room. Zero skills in this area for police.

Second is the level of training police receive with their weapons. Because so many of them have such little unconscious competence with their service weapons, they are too quick to shoot when a situation gets tense. Sure, some officers go to the range and shoot at static paper targets, but 1) they have to pay for the training themselves and 2) paper targets are no substitute for tactical shooting on an outdoor range. Any training that does cover simulated live situations is usually cost prohibitive.

I don't blame police. Their job is harder than the average citizen can begin to understand, then they have to deal with every decision they make being shredded in the public sphere.

So what happened in Tulsa? Did the officer overreact? Did she mistake the service weapon in her hand for her taser (it's happened before - in Tulsa)? Was her training insufficient to give her a degree of unconscious competence in this situation?

The likely answer is likely 'yes' to all of those questions.
Totally agree that most PD's do not give their Officers enough training in how to deal with non-compliant individuals.

Used to be that almost all persons stopped would comply with Police orders and show respect to the cops regardless of circumstance. Today, more and more people are making encounters with police into confrontations by willfully disregarding commands and disrespecting the cops (whether deserved or not). These acts cause many officers to believe they're in a dangerous situation and they take on a defensive posture where they feel their lives are being threatened.

The solution really is very simple, but it requires participation on both sides (Community and PD.) Better training for Police Officers and outreach into the communities to inform people how they are expected to react with cops when they're stopped. (Hint: It isn't to disregard Police commands and argue with them.)

livespive

I agree,

Totally agree that most PD's do not give their Officers enough training in how to deal with non-compliant individuals.

Used to be that almost all persons stopped would comply with Police orders and show respect to the cops regardless of circumstance. Today, more and more people are making encounters with police into confrontations by willfully disregarding commands and disrespecting the cops (whether deserved or not). These acts cause many officers to believe they're in a dangerous situation and they take on a defensive posture where they feel their lives are being threatened.

The solution really is very simple, but it requires participation on both sides (Community and PD.) Better training for Police Officers and outreach into the communities to inform people how they are expected to react with cops when they're stopped. (Hint: It isn't to disregard Police commands and argue with them.)

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HEY MI2. IF ITS ME AND BIG BUBBA AND THERE IS A PROBLEM, YES I WILL DO WHATEVER I HAVE TO. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT JUST LAY DOWN AND GIVE UP. NOT ME.
AND LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION. WHAT IF THE COP GIVES DEMANDS AND THEY ARE FOLLOWED AND EVERYONE GOES HOME ALIVE. OR IS THAT BEYOND YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS? :Biggrin:

livespive

Then they wouldn't be on tv and we would have never got to talk about you and Big Bubba :p:Biggrin:

HEY MI2. IF ITS ME AND BIG BUBBA AND THERE IS A PROBLEM, YES I WILL DO WHATEVER I HAVE TO. SOUNDS LIKE YOU MIGHT JUST LAY DOWN AND GIVE UP. NOT ME.
AND LET ME ASK YOU A QUESTION. WHAT IF THE COP GIVES DEMANDS AND THEY ARE FOLLOWED AND EVERYONE GOES HOME ALIVE. OR IS THAT BEYOND YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS? :Biggrin:

MI2AZ

Not the first time one of my remarks/jokes has gone over someone's head - or in this case, under their nose.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
If the police are yelling at you to 'drop the gun' and you don't have one to drop, what happens next?
HOLLAR FUCK YOU.
Don't know about anybody else, but WAMO's response made me LMAO! :Roflmao:

And MI2AZ... don't forget to use the Sarcasm disclaimer as needed. ;)

I can just imagine WAMO running for his life as Big Bubba chases him around the jail cell! :Eek: RUN, WAMO! RUN!! :Laugh:

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
DAMN IT GUYS, I HATE BEING THE BUTT OF SOMEONES JOKE. WAIT...THATS THE WRONG BUTT, AINT IT? IS IT? OH HELL. WHERE THE HELL IS BUBBA WHEN YOU NEED HIM?