I Don't Want To Live With Any White Folks

MI2AZ

A want-ad for a new roommate spurred a passionate debate about racism, safe spaces, and what it's like to be a person of color in America this week at a small college in California. The Washington Post reports 20-year-old Pitzer College junior Karé Ureña posted on the Pitzer College Class of 2018 Facebook page looking for a roommate to live with her and two others in an off-campus house. The post specified they were looking for people of color only, according to the Claremont Independent. And Ureña, who is black, specified in a follow-up comment: "I don't want to live with any white folks." The post led to claims of discrimination, segregation, and reverse racism.

But Ureña and supporters fired back against those claims. "Seeking a living space that is all-POC is not only reasonable, but can be necessary,” she tells the Post. "Our people are being killed. Our housing arrangements are not racist. They are not exclusive. We are simply fighting to exist." The Independent quotes another student as saying: “We don’t want to have to tiptoe around fragile white feelings in a space where we just want to relax." Pitzer President Melvin Oliver, the first black president at a Claremont college, says Ureña's post and the comments that followed "are inconsistent with our mission and values," CBS News reports. Ureña has since deleted the post.

A group of students at the Claremont Colleges are in search of a roommate for next year, but insist that the roommate not be white. Karé Ureña (PZ ’18) posted on Facebook that non-white students in need of housing arrangements should reach out to either her or two other students with whom she plans to live in an off-campus house. The post states that “POC [people of color] only” will be considered for this living opportunity. “I don’t want to live with any white folks,” Ureña added.

Dalia Zada (PZ ’18) expressed concerns to the anti-white discrimination. “‘POC only?’ Maybe I’m missing something or misunderstanding your post, but how is that not a racist thing to say?”

“This is directed to protect POC, not white people. Don’t see how this is racist at all…” responded AJ León (PZ ’18). Sara Roschdi (PZ ’17), a Pitzer Latino Student Union member, stated, “People of color are allowed to create safe POC only spaces. It is not reverse racism or discriminatory, it is self preservation.”

“We don’t want to have to tiptoe around fragile white feelings in a space where we just want to relax and be comfortable,” commented Nina Lee, a Women’s Studies major. “I could live with white people, but I would be far more comfortable living with other poc.”

“White people always mad when they don’t feel included but at the end of the day y’all are damaging asf [as f*ck] and if a POC feels they need to protect themselves from that toxic environment THEY CAN! Quick to try to jump on a POC but you won’t call your friends out when they’re being racist asf,” noted Terriyonna Smith (PZ ’18), an Africana Studies major and Resident Assistant (RA) for the 2016-2017 year. “I’m not responding to NO comments and NOPE I don’t wanna have a dialogue.” It is not clear whether or not this refusal of dialogue represents the approaches to conversation on racism with fellow students encouraged by professors of Africana Studies or the Residence Life staff at Pitzer College.

Another Resident Assistant and Black Student Union member, Jessica Saint-Fleur (PZ ’18) added to the thread of comments, “White people have cause [sic] so much mf [motherf*cking] trauma on these campuses … why in the world would I want to live with that? Bring that into my home? A place that is supposed to be safe for me?”

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Where did this fucking term "reverse racism" come from??? Thats the stupidest fucking thing ever. Racism is racism regardless of color. Dumbass bastards.

livespive

+1,

But I do this it was a white term that came out when quotas and everything were set up for affirmative action.

White people said that this was reverse racism.

Where did this fucking term "reverse racism" come from??? Thats the stupidest fucking thing ever. Racism is racism regardless of color. Dumbass bastards.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
+1,

But I do this it was a white term that came out when quotas and everything were set up for affirmative action.

White people said that this was reverse racism.
And THAT would make sense to me, because reverse implies 180° turn. So, instead of treating a race badly, that race gets preferential treatment. But that's not how it used today. Now, it has morphed into blacks treating whites badly. But, as a whole, haven't they always?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Tiptoe around "fragile white feelings"? Laughing my fucking ass off. It ain't white people walking around looking for an excuse to be offended.

livespive

Yeah, but you must remember white are treated more serious than blacks.

Example,

A Black college is in an apartment and something happens to make them feel threatened etc. They will tell that student they should leave.
Flip the scene, and there will be a wagon there to arrest all of the black roommates.

The funny thing about this is that it is always the frail naïve white person that decides to go into a situation like that.

There is a skit on the chapel show that is just like this.

Tiptoe around "fragile white feelings"? Laughing my fucking ass off. It ain't white people walking around looking for an excuse to be offended.

livespive

No,

And THAT would make sense to me, because reverse implies 180° turn. So, instead of treating a race badly, that race gets preferential treatment. But that's not how it used today. Now, it has morphed into blacks treating whites badly. But, as a whole, haven't they always?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
The sad part is, staying segregated does nothing to advance us as a country. But I reckon there are those that don't think in the large scale.

This quote/scene sums it up, I think. Bonus points if you know where it came from.

Still Iiving in the past, aren't you?

We're a Iong way from Memphis.

- Memphis has nothing to do with it. - Bullshit!

That dog won't hunt.

I can't beIieve you're still dragging that shit around with you.

It seems to me you'd be a IittIe more... phiIosophicaI about it.

And cut it the fuck Ioose.

livespive

Roadhouse :Biggrin:

But you are exactly right, the key for the powers in charge is to keep us divided.
We will be to busy fighting to pay attention to them.

The sad part is, staying segregated does nothing to advance us as a country. But I reckon there are those that don't think in the large scale.

This quote/scene sums it up, I think. Bonus points if you know where it came from.

Still Iiving in the past, aren't you?

We're a Iong way from Memphis.

- Memphis has nothing to do with it. - Bullshit!

That dog won't hunt.

I can't beIieve you're still dragging that shit around with you.

It seems to me you'd be a IittIe more... phiIosophicaI about it.

And cut it the fuck Ioose.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Yeah, but you must remember white are treated more serious than blacks.

Example,

A Black college is in an apartment and something happens to make them feel threatened etc. They will tell that student they should leave.
Flip the scene, and there will be a wagon there to arrest all of the black roommates.

The funny thing about this is that it is always the frail naïve white person that decides to go into a situation like that.

There is a skit on the chapel show that is just like this.
I've never been in this situation... not sure I follow. If one white dude is causing problems where everyone else is black, he'll be asked to leave. But if one black guy is causing problems where everyone else is white, the police will be involved?

Maybe I need a link to the DC skit. :)

livespive

No if the one person is felling threatened there are two outcome.

The Black in a house of Whites will be talked into leaving.
If the White is in a house full of Blacks, the cops will be called on the Blacks.

The issue is that like you said, tip toing around the one person in the house.
In each situation the outcome would be different.

I've never been in this situation... not sure I follow. If one white dude is causing problems where everyone else is black, he'll be asked to leave. But if one black guy is causing problems where everyone else is white, the police will be involved?

Maybe I need a link to the DC skit. :)

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I BLACK IN A ROOM FULL OF WHITES BEING ASKED TO LEAVE, NEVER HAPPEN. COPS WOULD BE CALLED FOR SURE. THE 1 BLACK WOULD START HOLLARING DISCRIMINATION FOR BEING ASKED TO LEAVE.
1 WHITE IN A ROOM FULL OF BLACKS, BET AWARDS SHOW?

MI2AZ

I BLACK IN A ROOM FULL OF WHITES BEING ASKED TO LEAVE, NEVER HAPPEN. COPS WOULD BE CALLED FOR SURE. THE 1 BLACK WOULD START HOLLARING DISCRIMINATION FOR BEING ASKED TO LEAVE.

NBA Draft.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
No if the one person is felling threatened there are two outcome.

The Black in a house of Whites will be talked into leaving.
If the White is in a house full of Blacks, the cops will be called on the Blacks.

The issue is that like you said, tip toing around the one person in the house.
In each situation the outcome would be different.
Ahh, OK, got it.

livespive

Real life, not reality TV. :rolleyes: