Mini-editorial: Alabamans voting for a politician, not a pastor

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
There's a special election in Alabama tomorrow (Dec. 12) to determine whether Republican Roy Moore or Democrat Doug Jones fills the Senate seat vacated when President Trump named Jeff Sessions to be his attorney general.

The liberals, Democrats and lamestream media are making one-sided pitches in favor of Jones, but what should be of primary importance to Alabama's electorate? Should they select a Democrat who will vote with Chuck Schumer and the obstructionist anti-Trump Democrats every step of the way, or should they choose a Republican who may have initiated inappropriate sex-related behavior nearly four decades ago?

Any informed voter should know how Jones would vote on tax reform, immigration, Obamacare and other issues important to a majority of Alabamans, and obviously, he would support Schumer every step of the way. In fact, is there any issue that Jones would go against all of the other anti-Trump obstructionist Democrats?

Regarding the story that first appeared in The Washington Post regarding four women (the number has since increased) who alleged that they were the object of inappropriate sex-related actions by Moore when they were teen-agers and Moore was in his 30s, certain aspects of the journalistic approach is suspect, to say the least.

For instance, how did Washington Post reporter Stephanie McCrummen just happen to know that there were those four women, who they were, and how to contact them? Is it logical or believable that she just happened to be in Alabama talking to Moore supporters and happened to hear what no one -- including previous political opponents -- had reported in 38 years?

Supposedly the four women didn't know each other, and they've never met. However, McCrummen just happened to run into a "source" who informed her about the four women and how to contact them. Seriously? Isn't it likely, if not obvious, that the newspaper was furnished the "information" by a person or group with anti-Trump, anti-Moore and anti-Republican bias?

At any rate, Alabama voters should realize that the election isn't about decades-old, unproven sexual allegations; rather, it's about issues that mean the most to modern-day Alabamans. The voters are choosing a politician, not a pastor.

Last edited:

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
If these types of sexual allegations continue, it may soon come to a point where "getting out the women (sex accusers)" is almost as important as "getting out the vote" ... and some future election(s) may be decided because Candidate A has only 2 groping claims and 1 rape allegation while Candidate B has 7 groping, 2 rapes and 3 improper advances allegations.

bbfreeburn

AW. did you mean a Republican who, twice, was kicked off the Alabama Supreme court? A Republican who has stated that he wants to dis-enfranchise women? A Republican who has stated that he would repeal ALL amendments after the tenth? A Republican who recently sang the praises of the slavery era?

As to the sexual allegations, yes they should be investigated and a verdict handed out only after such investigation, not before.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Dear bbfreeburn:

I am well aware of all the "baggage" that you cite, but regardless, if I lived in Alabama, I WOULD RATHER ELECT SOMEONE WHO WOULD VOTE IN LINE WITH MY POLITICAL BELIEFS -- for the most part, at least -- than someone who would almost always vote the complete opposite of those beliefs.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Well, I get to vote in said election. It's pretty tainted to say the least. Doug Jones is being herolded as a moderate which isn't really true. He's also misrepresenting Shelby's comments.

Do I like Moore? No. I thought he was too far Evangelical bfor my taste. Do I think he is a creeper and possibly did something illegal? Probably. But I'm voting for policy and against the far left Dems currently in office. If this were a national election I'd write someone in. I'll vote Moore in and if it's proven under investigation he did something illegal, kick him out, charge him, and we have another election.

I have no doubt that what the women say is true. I also don't doubt that the women came to the reporters. The question is, why weren't there reporters there covering Strange and Jones? WaPo was only there covering Moore. Why?

Last edited:

livespive

I wouldn't vote for my dad if he did this shit, no matter which side he was on.......

He would have to be in line with EVERY view that I had for me to even consider it if he is doing all of this.

Like DJ said The other guy is not that good either, so I would sit this one out.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I wouldn't vote for my dad if he did this shit, no matter which side he was on.......

He would have to be in line with EVERY view that I had for me to even consider it if he is doing all of this.

Like DJ said The other guy is not that good either, so I would sit this one out.
I thought about sitting it out but I only 4 votes that represent me for national policy.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
One thing I keep hearing from Alabama Democrats is how Alabama got it right and how Alabama wins.

Sorry, but Alabama was and is not represented properly by this outcome. When senators, celebrities, sports players, and media outlets are telling the state if Alabama who to vote for, the lesson here is that Doug Jones was voted in because he represents outsiders and people who gave no interest in Alabama at all. Alabama fundamentally loses.

For shits sake when has any Senate election gotten this much attention by the media and people with zero stake in Alabama?

bbfreeburn

One thing I keep hearing from Alabama Democrats is how Alabama got it right and how Alabama wins.

Sorry, but Alabama was and is not represented properly by this outcome. When senators, celebrities, sports players, and media outlets are telling the state if Alabama who to vote for, the lesson here is that Doug Jones was voted in because he represents outsiders and people who gave no interest in Alabama at all. Alabama fundamentally loses.

For shits sake when has any Senate election gotten this much attention by the media and people with zero stake in Alabama?
You probably haven't been watching closely, but those senators, celebrities,etc., tell us who to vote for in every district of every election.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
You probably haven't been watching closely, but those senators, celebrities,etc., tell us who to vote for in every district of every election.
Not here. I believe there is a difference between endorsements and outright directly saying who to vote for.

The hyocracy here its apparently ok for Democrats to shame an entire electorate and tell you you are a bad person if you vote for Moore, when much of their early criticism of Moore was his Evangelical positions and criticisms of those who he didn't agree with.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
The moral is, its ok for the Democratic Party to tell me what's right and wrong but God forbid a republican do that.

It's just like healthcare. The north east and west coast look at the South as a bunch of obese fatties while they eat their organic fru fru, but they don't believe that health insurance should be associated with risk.

bbfreeburn

I won't characterize the South as a bunch of obese fatties, but I will say this. I moved to southern Indiana a year and a half ago. It's the only place I have ever gone to a doctor's office and seen seats that were 1 and 1/2 times the width of normal seats. They need them for a number of their patients who don't fit into normal seats. Of course there is a reason for this. It's a pretty economically depressed area with a good wage being around $15 an hour, many make as little as 9-10 per hour. Full time employment is rare. So what do you eat when you don't make much? A lot of food that is bad for you; starchy and grease laden.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
A lot of Indiana is economically depressed since much of the auto manufacturing pulled out years ago. Outside of Indy and its surrounding communities, the college towns (Lafayette, South Bend, Bloomington) and maybe Ft Wayne and Terre Haute, there's not many good jobs.

I did like living there, except for winter. Winter sucked. But I found the people to be nice, and enjoyed the relaxed, small town feel most of the state had. Indy even felt small town for a city (especially compared to Houston). But economic factors led to me leaving. Still miss my 4 acres and 30x90 garden (that had dirt in which plants could actually grow and produce in). Can't afford 4 acres of miserable sand and clay here without hitting the Powerball...

Hint, if you haven't figured it out already - the more farm trucks parked at a diner in the morning, the better the food is!

livespive

What's normal? There are "normal" sized people that need wide seat.
That's the same as a parking lot, why make the spots for just a Yugo?

I won't characterize the South as a bunch of obese fatties, but I will say this. I moved to southern Indiana a year and a half ago. It's the only place I have ever gone to a doctor's office and seen seats that were 1 and 1/2 times the width of normal seats. They need them for a number of their patients who don't fit into normal seats. Of course there is a reason for this. It's a pretty economically depressed area with a good wage being around $15 an hour, many make as little as 9-10 per hour. Full time employment is rare. So what do you eat when you don't make much? A lot of food that is bad for you; starchy and grease laden.

bbfreeburn

Live, let me put it this way: pants with waist sizes of 60 and up are not uncommon. There is a direct relationship between income and waist size here.

livespive

Not true as I blow this assumption right out of the water.

Make VERY good money, just been large all of my life.
I am athletic was better than the smaller folks in my youth.
Played football.

That is the problem with not just health, but everything. People just want to make these boxes and put
everyone in them when not everyone fits in the box.

Live, let me put it this way: pants with waist sizes of 60 and up are not uncommon. There is a direct relationship between income and waist size here.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
You might not, but California, mainstream media, and the northeast all have negative views on the south when it comes to diets and weight. Statistics don't lie, the fattest people live in states that are in the south. The irony here is that the Red south doesn't want Obama care but are at the highest risk. Maybe all the rich folks in Cali can pay for our insurance.

bbfreeburn

You might not, but California, mainstream media, and the northeast all have negative views on the south when it comes to diets and weight. Statistics don't lie, the fattest people live in states that are in the south. The irony here is that the Red south doesn't want Obama care but are at the highest risk. Maybe all the rich folks in Cali can pay for our insurance.
Agree with all that.

Live note that I said relationship, not all, leaving room for exceptions such as yourself. All I know is what I see. Another thing I see more of here than where I came from is more people riding those grocery cart scooters, usually large people.