Interesting thread on twitter

Djarum300

Addicted Member

Ben Shapiro getting dragged because of his takes on Twitter about SS and retirement.

I don't entirely disagree.

1. People never, until modern industrial era "retired".

2. Commenters suggesting that SS isn't an entitlement because they deserve the money they put in are clueless. They say it isn't like other entitlement programs. Last I checked there isn't a contract forcing the government to give us Medicare/Medicaid/ or SS. Just because it's a line item on a paystub doesn't mean that it's just like any other tax which goes to an entitlement program. If some people collect more from it than others or collect more than they actually put in: the program is no different than welfare or any other entitlement.

3. Many commenters don't understand his main point: we shouldn't rely on the younger to pay for the retirement of the older. On the face of it this sounds ridiculous but here we are.

4. Many folks seem like they are somehow deserving of retirement. Fine, but pay for it yourself. I don't think Ben Shapiro is saying otherwise, outside that a particular age should define retirement nor should it be taxed and then dolled out by the government.

FDR screwed us all here. And I'm surprised the lefties don't call out how regressive of a tax it is.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Follow up:

Vivek states that Ben Shapiro is disconnected because soanu rely on it.

How's this any different than Medicare? Medicaid? Republicans were against both and their expansion just 15 years ago, rightfully so.

How about we learn not to rely on it? I pay for welfare recipients but I sure don't expect or rely on it.

Conservatives kill me sometimes.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Social security and medicare taxes are stipulated and calculated as such. Other taxes are just stated as federal income tax.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Social security and medicare taxes are stipulated and calculated as such. Other taxes are just stated as federal income tax.
Yes, but that doesn't matter. Anyone under 50 is delusional if they think they will collect on SS. At the very least the retirement age will be so high or the payout will be so low it doesn't matter. Congress can dip in at anytime and not pay it back.

By the time I retire in 25 years I pretty much see the younger generations paying an additional 5 or 10 percent which will be untenable.

They call it insurance which isn't the case because insurance companies have to have a backtop. Who backstops the federal government?

They say it's a contribution. Any contribution should be able to be deducted at will.

Neither are true.

I remember Bush and McCain having the SS debate and at that time in the early 00s all signs pointed to 2030. Now it's 2035 from the latest sources. That's in 11 years that SS becomes an issue.

1. Boomers expect collecting it and I don't blame them

2. Gen X knows they ain't collecting and want it gone

3. Gen Z want free money and believe they are paying into a gov't ran 401K and it's not. It's a ponzie pay it forward scheme.