Scolai - How ya doin' (RE; Florence)

Scolai

Fuck these stupid storms.

We bought $100 worth of storm supplies and the fucker went and shifted south. :mad:

At least justify all the money I spent, Mother Nature!

Scolai

The liquor is going straight to my head. I'm going to go out later and fucking moon Florence as she blows through.

Maybe I shouldn't have started my hurricane drinking just yet... o_O

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Fuck these stupid storms.

We bought $100 worth of storm supplies and the fucker went and shifted south. :mad:

At least justify all the money I spent, Mother Nature!
Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I'm not sure where you are at in NC, but my experience tells me that they've been wrong 5 days out. SC was scrambling yesterday because of the new models.

If I was on a barrier island I'd have evacuated. Other than that I'd have waited until at least yesterday to evacuate if I was in a low area or flood prone area. Doesn't apear to be the rain maker they thought.

They got Harvey mostly right but Irma was a boondoggle. They never expected the St. John's to flood like it did and Jacksonville, where my folks live, had houses underwater.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Obviously, the forecasters misfire quite a bit. Just a few days ago, virtually ALL of the computer models showed something a lot different than now.

A little over a year ago, they forecast Hurricane Irma to rake the east side of Florida, and we had two couples (friends of ours) evacuate their area and come over to stay at a hotel near us in Sarasota (on the west coast of the state). But by the time they arrived, the forecasters were calling for a direct hit on the west coast, so they scurried back to their east-coast homes.

So, here in Sarasota, we braced for a direct hit by a Cat-3 or Cat-4 storm, but by the time Irma made landfall, the storm had shifted eastward, and it wound up going down the center of the state, so we were spared any major damage. On the other hand, two hours to the northeast (in the Orlando area), some of our family members sustained roof (and other) damages.

Even though it should be the case -- with modern technology -- I don't believe that the modern-day forecasters do much better in their predictions than their predecessors did many decades ago.

Regardless of where Florence hits, and regardless of the severity of what the storm causes, I hope that residents of the affected areas have prepared themselves as best possible, and I hope that things aren't anywhere near the direst of forecasts.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
You guys should check out spacecityweather.com. Eric and Matt do a great job working through these storms without hype and hysterics. They openly admit when they are not 100% sure where they will go, and often lay out scenarios and explain why they think their forecast will happen. While the main focus is on Houston weather, they do generally cover the Atlantic storms as well.

As for the $100... that's cheap insurance! After Harvey, I'd spend $1000 on supplies if I knew it would make the storm turn away!! Hurricanes are a giant pain in the ass. Give me a tornado any day! (And yes, I've now been through both and was in buildings hit by tornadoes on 2 separate occasions.) At least with a tornado it shows up and leaves rather quickly. A damn hurricane hangs around forever, like a house guest that overstays their welcome and never gets the hint it's time to leave. So rude!

Glad it's looking safe for you though! :Thumbsup:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
+1. Hoping the best for everyone on the E coast. Went through it a year ago here, no fun at all... and we were lucky, our house didn't flood. It still sucked.

One thing I will say though, I was proud how the people of Houston (and those who came from other towns/states to help) all came together and helped each other through the worst. It was really awesome to see that - almost restored my faith in humanity.

Although, a year later I find it odd... we came together to help neighbors and strangers in a time of need, and now we're back to being dicks to each other when driving on the roads... :Unsure:

Scolai

The only emergency for me right now is that I ran out of vodka and the Captain Morgan and Evan Williams are running low.

It was windy for a little while - nothing too serious. It rained all day yesterday - 2-3" worth. The river is still low. I have a bunch of small branches in the yard. All things considered, we fared well.

My friends in New Bern, however, were completely fucked by this storm. The storm surge inundated downtown, and then they got about 20" of rain after that. Our sister dojo is in New Bern; several students at that school lost everything in the floods.

My son is in Fayetteville, where the Army had him driving to work in hurricane force winds and torrential rains. Screwed by the big green weenie again. Thankfully he's safe, even if the storm is still raping Bragg's ass.

Thanks for asking about me. I appreciate it much. :Thumbsup:

Scolai

Airborne paratrooper. He's an 11-Charlie (Infantry mortarman) jumping with an 11-Bravo (Infantry ground) unit.