Oh man...

livespive

OK, half of the verdict is in.

I tried the Queen City Goetta :

http://www.queencitysausage.com/index.php/post/how-to-cook-the-perfect-goetta-patty/

It has a taste and texture like the patties/ croquettes that you make with the canned salmon.
It had a good taste to it.

I will be getting more.

The scrapple is still defrosting as it was in the freezer section.

I'll let you know about that on Monday.

LOL just bring what you didn't eat. It will be worth the beatdown. :Cool:

Best guess you will enjoy the scrapple. You should try it with grits on the side next.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Well, I just went to Kroger on lunch break, and got some, and some Goetta (it's big in Cincinnati and the brand was in the store)

So if this stuff ain't good, I'm gonna track you down and beat you down twice, one for me and one for Greg :p:p:D;)
My mother made homemade goetta, and so did my grandmother. It's a German thing in and around Cincinnati. TG keeps asking me to make it. From scratch, not some store baught stuff.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
OK, half of the verdict is in.

I tried the Queen City Goetta :

http://www.queencitysausage.com/index.php/post/how-to-cook-the-perfect-goetta-patty/

It has a taste and texture like the patties/ croquettes that you make with the canned salmon.
It had a good taste to it.

I will be getting more.

The scrapple is still defrosting as it was in the freezer section.

I'll let you know about that on Monday.
That description is rather misleading. Goetta is not sausage. Many recipes don't even call for sausage but ground pork. It's closer to meat pourage. We didn't fry ours in patties, but more like corned beef hash....kinda thick.

livespive

The company is a sausage company, and they do Goetta.

The two recipes that I looked at call for ground beef and pork, where it looks like scrapple calls for just pork.

Both of them cooked up the same, but the scrapple was kind of bland. To give it the benefit of the doubt, I bought
some sausage from the same company, and it was bland, so it might be them.

The Goetta that I had was good, I am going to try to make some from scratch........That way I know what's in it :)

So Rev, you are safe from a beating... at least from me :)

That description is rather misleading. Goetta is not sausage. Many recipes don't even call for sausage but ground pork. It's closer to meat pourage. We didn't fry ours in patties, but more like corned beef hash....kinda thick.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
The company is a sausage company, and they do Goetta.

The two recipes that I looked at call for ground beef and pork, where it looks like scrapple calls for just pork.

Both of them cooked up the same, but the scrapple was kind of bland. To give it the benefit of the doubt, I bought
some sausage from the same company, and it was bland, so it might be them.

The Goetta that I had was good, I am going to try to make some from scratch........That way I know what's in it :)

So Rev, you are safe from a beating... at least from me :)
Not that difficult. I usually add sage to mine.

livespive

I read review, and a guy said his fell apart like a loose meat sandwich.
I think if you put is in a stand mixer to really mix the meat you won't have that problem.

I love sage, and thyme and rosemary, so those will definitely go in.

Not that difficult. I usually add sage to mine.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I read review, and a guy said his fell apart like a loose meat sandwich.
I think if you put is in a stand mixer to really mix the meat you won't have that problem.

I love sage, and thyme and rosemary, so those will definitely go in.
I could see that... there are deffinitely a couple vastly different recipes I saw out there. One used the more palatable (to most) sausage/ground beef mixture, while the other was actual leftover parts like heart, liver, etc. That's the one I could see falling apart - too lean to keep it together without some kind of bonding agent.

On edit: the second one sounds more likely to be the original recipe - and the one I would be more interested in trying.

A chicken restaurant back in KS deep fries hearts - you can get them as appetizer or meal (they also do livers and gizzards). The hearts are awesome! Basically bite size morsels of dark meat. Yum! :Thumbsup:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I could see that... there are deffinitely a couple vastly different recipes I saw out there. One used the more palatable (to most) sausage/ground beef mixture, while the other was actual leftover parts like heart, liver, etc. That's the one I could see falling apart - too lean to keep it together without some kind of bonding agent.
I don't know. How many different recipes for shit would make a difference? ;)

livespive

I eat gizzards, I don't do the hearts or livers.

On edit: the second one sounds more likely to be the original recipe - and the one I would be more interested in trying.

A chicken restaurant back in KS deep fries hearts - you can get them as appetizer or meal (they also do livers and gizzards). The hearts are awesome! Basically bite size morsels of dark meat. Yum! :Thumbsup:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I eat gizzards, I don't do the hearts or livers.
Gizzards taste fine, but generally they're too chewy. I get tired of gnawing on them.

Liver... I can eat two or 3 then I'm done with them. Hearts though... :Inlove: I'll keep munching on those until they're all gone!