Nuclear and EMP threats are far more serious than global warming

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I would hope they have back-up generators with back-up generators that have back-up generators. IIRC the majority of our plants are as old (older?) as I am? Might not even need a bomb, storm, or hack... these things could melt down just from old age or negligence (if maintenance is not kept up at top notch quality). I mean, surely no American company would dare cut corners to save money on maintaining equipment that could kill thousands of people if it fails. Right? :rolleyes::Cautious::Eek:

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I would hope they have back-up generators with back-up generators that have back-up generators. IIRC the majority of our plants are as old (older?) as I am? Might not even need a bomb, storm, or hack... these things could melt down just from old age or negligence (if maintenance is not kept up at top notch quality). I mean, surely no American company would dare cut corners to save money on maintaining equipment that could kill thousands of people if it fails. Right? :rolleyes::Cautious::Eek:
From wiki in regards to Fukushima:

Emergency diesel generators came online, as designed, to power electronics and coolant systems, all of which operated nominally until the tsunami destroyed the generators for reactors 1–5. The two generators cooling reactor 6 were undamaged and were sufficient to be pressed into service to cool the neighboring reactor 5 along with their own reactor, averting the overheating issues that reactor 4 suffered.[10]

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Just for more reference, in April 27 2011 a tornado wiped out huge power lines going to and from the browns ferry nuclear plant just 45 miles away:

At 5:01 PM on April 27, 2011, all three reactors scrammed due to loss of external power caused by a tornado in the vicinity of the plant. Control rod insertion and cooling procedures operated as designed with no physical damage or release of radiation. Diesel backup generators provided power after a brief period of outage. An NRC Unusual Event, the lowest level of emergencyclassification, was declared due to loss of power exceeding 15 minutes. Additionally, a small oil leak was found on one generator. Due to widespread transmission grid damage from the storms, Browns Ferry was unable to produce power for the grid and significant blackouts occurred throughout.....

So, bombing one or more plants could be catastrophic.