No NFL Games At This Post

MI2AZ

Because football players are taking a knee, American Legion Post 374 is taking a stand.

The Berkley social club for military veterans is fed up with NFL players who refuse to stand during the national anthem, so the post officers are protesting the protesters.

The executive board passed a resolution -- posted throughout the club room and on the exterior of the building -- stating, “This post will not participate with any individual, group or organization that disrespects or knowing allows the disrespecting of our Constitution, United States or American Flag, or our National Anthem.”

That means that the club won’t show televised games involving teams on which players have outwardly demonstrated during the anthem -- specifically, the San Francisco 49ers, Seattle Seahawks, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs and Los Angeles Rams.

The Detroit Lions are playing the Rams on Sunday. And Post 374 won't show it, even though members realize they’ll likely lose some business.

“We’ve watched customers walk out, and they’ll go down the street (to a bar) where they can see a ballgame,” senior vice commander Buddy Wells said. “I don’t know what the right answer is. Maybe we don’t air the national anthem. Maybe they shouldn’t put (protesting players) on national TV.”

“We do take a hit because people come in to our clubhouse to watch games; a lot of times, we’ll have food specials and stuff. We can’t do it right now,” said post commander Tom Bustance, 74, who served four years in the Vietnam War as a tactical wing with the Air Force. “We’re all veterans; we respect our country, we fought for our country, we respect our flag and our constitution."

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who will start for the first time Sunday, started the movement and was singled out by Bustance.

“First, he was kneeling, then he was doing the fist up,” Bustance said. “I just thought it was disrespectful to our country, so I got with our executive committee members, and we decided that we weren’t going to show the games that those six teams play in. Unfortunately, it’s now spread to at least 12 teams and now college football, and it’s kind of put us in a bad situation that we’re not having many games to watch. But we took a position on it, and you’ve kind of got to live with your position.”

Last week -- as the 49ers were playing the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday Night Football -- patrons socialized while the post showed the baseball playoff game between the Cleveland Indians and Boston Red Sox instead.

Post 374 can barely afford to take any more financial hits. Last year, it came close to having its building repossessed when it was determined that two former managers absconded with club funds. A gofundme.com campaign produced $88,000 -- enough for the post to settle up its mortgage and water bill, although the club is working out a plan to settle taxes still owed to the state.

“We’re doing a lot of fundraisers: Sunday breakfasts, on Friday night, we do a steak fry,” Bustance said. “We’re working a lot to dig our way out, but I don’t think the NFL will send us a check for the money we’ve lost not airing their games.”

One of the core American Legion objectives is to “foster and perpetuate a 100% Americanism,” and Bustance says he realizes that players are exercising their constitutionally protected right to free speech. He just wishes that they would find some other way to do it that doesn’t “disrespect the national anthem and our flag.”

“I say you (protest), but you don’t do it on the NFL stage where everyone has to watch it,” he said. “I thought, 'How disrespectful that is to our servicemen.' What their cause seems to be is police brutality, which is not the armed forces, it’s the local police departments. Look how many Americans died on 9-11 and how many first responders died going to save those people. I think that Kaepernick and every player deserves to have to stand, out of respect for those people who died.”

Said the 45-year-old Wells, who served four tours of duty in Iraq as an Army battalion commander: “I think they forget there’s still men and women serving in harm’s way, and we have nothing but support for those people. That’s what it’s all about. Without them, they wouldn’t be playing football for a living.”

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
SORRY THEY ARE LOSING BUSINESS OVER THEIR DECISION FOR SUPPORTING WHAT THEY BELIEVE. TO BAD THOSE FOLKS THAT DONT STAND STILL GET PAID.

Good Times Good Times

Why people give a shit about what other people do during the anthem is beyond me. Before all of this protesting no one cared if people were going up/down the aisles getting beer/food. They stand up, and check their mobile phones. They don't have the etiquette to stand in attention, forget about singing.

Regardless, I stand b/c that's what I do. I'm amazed anyone would care what I choose to do in that moment (if I'm a player). I don't get why I should care what others do during it.

Live and let live.

Robadat

"disrespecting of our Constitution"

False, I believe the 1st amendment of such said document allows them to do so.
The first amendment doesn't apply to employers, businesses, team owners or management, they have every right to tell their employees how to act at their places of employment. The First Amendment only applies to the government, as it can not punish citizens for speaking out.

The individual team owners and/or the league itself has the right to impose any rule they like regarding player conduct during the playing of the National Anthem before games. That they choose not to do so is coming with a price, lost ratings and revenue from millions of fans who are protesting the protestors, that is their right under the First Amendment.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Why people give a shit about what other people do during the anthem is beyond me. Before all of this protesting no one cared if people were going up/down the aisles getting beer/food. They stand up, and check their mobile phones. They don't have the etiquette to stand in attention, forget about singing.

Regardless, I stand b/c that's what I do. I'm amazed anyone would care what I choose to do in that moment (if I'm a player). I don't get why I should care what others do during it.

Live and let live.
The media coverage annoys me. I tune in to watch the game and have a good time while escaping reality for a couple hours, not hear the announcers and every reporter go on and on about a player's political stance/opinion/action. I turned off the last SF game prior to the anthem - not because of Kaepernick or his actions, but because I could tell by all the slobbering about him kneeling beforehand that they were going to beat that horse to death at every chance through the whole game. Fuck that. There are other games to watch, and if they start that shit there, I'll go drink in the front yard with the neighbors, cut the grass, or do something - anything - other than listen to the media try to ruin a perfectly good ball game to push their latest "agenda of the month".

livespive

If that were 100% true, they would have done it already.

The first amendment doesn't apply to employers, businesses, team owners or management, they have every right to tell their employees how to act at their places of employment. The First Amendment only applies to the government, as it can not punish citizens for speaking out.

The individual team owners and/or the league itself has the right to impose any rule they like regarding player conduct during the playing of the National Anthem before games. That they choose not to do so is coming with a price, lost ratings and revenue from millions of fans who are protesting the protestors, that is their right under the First Amendment.

livespive

This is a 100% true statement. The flag or the national anthem have nothing to do with football........

If next season they say that you have to stand and moon everyone after the anthem, are you going to do that too????

Can someone tell me intelligently why we do it for a game, and not a musical or any other event? we act like we have some sense while it's playing, then those same people act like idiots during the game.

Live and let live.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
THE MEDIA IS THE CULPRIT HERE. IF THEY WOULD STOP SHOWING THE TOTAL DISRESPECT OF THE ANTHEM BY THESE MORONS, THEN THERE WOULD BE NO ISSUE.

JLS

Ya what Bob said...The NFL is full of porch monkeys who have no respect

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
YOU MEAN LIKE NOT LETTING PLAYERS WEAR CERTAIN CLEATS, SOCKS, HEADBANDS, ETC WITH CERTAIN LOGOS OR POLITICAL RHETORIC ON THEM, THEN YES, CENSORSHIP.

MI2AZ

I bowl on a military installation. I bowl Thurs night and a couple of weeks ago they had the tv on for the football game. I suddenly became aware that people around me had stopped moving. When I looked up at the closest tv monitor I noticed that they had the anthem playing (no sound on the tv monitor) with flag on screen, and the entire bowling center had stopped and were standing at attention facing the tv monitors.

REVerse °

Addicted Member
I may lean right, but free speech is free speech and it has consequences. If these folks don't want to stand- that's their business. The results of their actions is on THEIR shoulders. Not mine. Personally, I'm not offended. The flag should be respected, but the flag is not God Almighty.

livespive

Right,

Why don't we sign the anthem before we bowl????

Now MI2AZ's case is different :Biggrin:

I may lean right, but free speech is free speech and it has consequences. If these folks don't want to stand- that's their business. The results of their actions is on THEIR shoulders. Not mine. Personally, I'm not offended. The flag should be respected, but the flag is not God Almighty.