Kinda cool... Houston flooding on Google Maps

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Just noticed this tonight... google maps, in satellite view, shows the flooding in Houston. It looks to be fairly recent, as some areas that were flooded from Harvey are now dry (and show as such on the maps), but wet areas are still showing as flooded.

Look for highway 6 and I-10 on the west side. You'll see George Bush Park to the west of 6 (S of I10). This is the Barker Reservoir that they released into the Buffalo Bayou.

North of I10 is Addicks Reservoir, which they also released into Buffalo Bayou. You can scroll and zoom into neighborhoods all around these areas and see how many properties are still under water.

Still, even after being in the midst of it and knowing the impacted areas and scope of destruction, it's still hard for the brain to comprehend the magnitude of this event. The strength of Nature unleashed is unreal. Again, beyond the realm of human comprehension at times.

It's both magnificent and sad...

bbfreeburn

It's hard for me to use the word "cool" to describe anything associated with this catastrophe, but I do get your point.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
True. I was pleasantly surprised because when I first noticed it, I was looking for an alternate route to get the wife home from work. The only open N/S major road West of Houston that is open at the time is 99, and it was a parking lot almost all day yesterday. People were spending 3 hours+ in traffic each way to get to work and back home.

Being able to see where the water was turned out to be a valuable tool in steering her around the parking lot and safely home in a little over an hour (rather then 3). I was glad google did it, and wondered if it was updated for that very reason?