Cold...

Robadat

Stuff freezes up real quick when it's down near zero.
Spider Man said:
Don't take long to freeze. Yesterday afternoon, I tossed a blue light in the snow on my deck - figuring it would be ice cold by the time I got back from the store. I wasn't gone long and the bottle was froze solid.

Robadat said:
Pipes were all double insulated with foam and fiberglass insulation in the areas where I had room to use both. There are areas near where they go up into the walls that are too tight to double layer and that's where I've had problems in the past. This was first time this year they froze up so I thought they were good. I was up around two this morning and ran all the faucets for a few minutes, but when I got up around six this morning everything was frozen.

Last edited by a moderator:

stc067

It's not much fun here in Illinois either, we have a high of 10, and low of -9 Wednesday and Thursday.

Robadat

Preliminary report; Water main coming in is frozen as I couldn't shut it off til I thawed the valves. My whole house water filter is trash, cracked in half due to freezing...
Got about two inches of fresh snow out there, current temp is 15 but supposed to get up to about 27 later so I should be able to get the water running today. At least the wind is gone.
Trip to home depot for new insulation, new water filter, (and just in case) a number of copper fittings, pipe, solder, flux and gas for the torch.
Think I'll wait til it hits 20 before I start.
Oh, and Thurday night it's supposed to go down to 3, we're not supposed to get over 32 until Saturday... :(
I hate fucking winter...

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
That sux! Are you sure it's not frozen before it enters the house? If it is you could get the city over there to thaw the main and that would help give you some warmer water to assist your thawing. If you've got room for a large heater down there it would considerably.

Robadat

Won't know where it's frozen to til I start thawing everything out. I doubt the line coming in is frozen cause it comes up out of the ground and it's at least four feet down before it turns out to the street. I had it replaced about ten years ago when they replaced the steet mains. City tells you everything from the main in the street to your house is your problem, they won't do anything unless there's a number of houses out. Neighbors on both sides of me still have water.
First thing I'll do is thaw the main line out from the ground to the filter, if I can get that running, I'll have no real problems after that. Everything else I can repair myself if needed.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Meanwhile, here on the west coast of Florida, it's already up to 73 degrees under sunny skies, and it isn't even 11 a.m. yet.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
-25° tonight here in the forecast. High of 5° tomorrow.

Robadat

Greg T said:
-25° tonight here in the forecast. High of 5° tomorrow.
That's crazy fuckin' cold. On a good note, I got the main unfrozen and running. Reinsulated it so it doesn't refreeze. Next is to replace the filter and see if anything else burst. After I warm up for awhile.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Be careful down there, man. Frostbite is easy to get. I remember fucking up my legs and ass while thawing pipes years ago. That's why I started using electric heaters down there . I'd put the heaters on for a few hours before crawling under.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
I know folks here with crawl spaces cover up their crawl spaces before the winter comes.

We live in a new slab home and when it got down to 5 here, there were several houses in the hood who had burst pipes. Some claimed they let them drip and they still burst. Problem is, on some of these new homes they do a piss poor job of insulating pipes on exterior walls. In some cases they lay the insulation on the wrong side. At minimum they put the black stuff around the pipes which only has an R value of about 3. Its not that hard to put R-10 insulation behind the pipes in front of the sheathing. Of course, that assumes tha the pipes coming up from the slab are close to the drywall side and not the sheathing side. Plumbers get lazy and mis-align the pipes before the slab is poured and the pipes end up so close to the sheathing its impossible to put any insulation behind the pipes.

Robadat

Got everything thawed out and working finally. No pipe leaks, thankfully.

JLS

Rob....Sorry to hear about all of this...Glad all is fixed...

Now stay warm....We are back in the deep freeze for the next few days...

which is why

we're screwed...

Or wait...that's because of ....oh you know...lol

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
You got it, too, JLS? We had bight sunny blue skies this morning and all looked well.............then I checked the mercury. -18°..

JLS

Greg...nice and sunny here also...But the wind is picking up...It was sub zero with the wind chill over night...I think it's foing to be a high of about 5-7 today and tommorow...

Btw...someone sent me a great email...It was a young lady at home alone...kinda sorta hot...And someone is outside her house...So she gets her Glock...And sits there...then she sees the door handle moving... she gets up and points her gun...when the bad guy breaks in...and
sees her... he passes out...I think it was a commercial for Glock...

I know you would have liked it...

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I've seen those Glock commercials. Some of them are quite good.

Robadat

She can handle my glock anytime...
Never bring a knife to a gunfight...

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
The only thing she did wrong was fail to pull the trigger!

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
IM IN DALLAS. ITS 1 DEGREE HERE TODAY. 1 DEGREE ABOVE 56.

Spider

1 degree above global warming! Just peaked out the window to see a massive white out.