Cold...

Robadat

Fuckin 1 degree this morning and I have no water, frozen lines...
I hate Winter...

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I feel ya, bro. Had -6° this morning. Haven't had a water problem since I moved into town, tho. Your house lines or the city lines?

Robadat

Got city water. Underneath house is non heated crawlspace. Pipes are well insulated but with the cold and winds we had last night, they're now frozen. Just hoping nothing broke. I hate going under there in this weather, and to top if off, the entrance in is blocked up with snow and ice. Not fun.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Cold? I just checked weather.com, and it's currently a pleasant 73 degrees outside under sunny Florida skies, and our LOW tonight is forecast for 61. With weather like that, I could hope that winter will never end.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Careful Bill! I like ribbing these guys about the weather as much as anyone, but when a guy is sitting there in the cold with frozen pipes... well, maybe it's best not to poke a bear is all I'm saying. ;)

Robadat

Send us some of that warm air up north, Bill.
Finally got out of the single digits about an hour ago, high supposed to be around 19 today. At least the winds died down somewhat, we now have wind chills around 0 instead of -10 to -20.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Don't know about Bill, but I'd like to send you some if I could... but looking at the forecast, it appears that danged GregT is trying to push the cold arctic air all the way down to Houston to screw with me!

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
When I lived in Wells, about 2 miles from where I am now, I had a crawl space and pipe problems. I wrapped all the pipes with heat tape and paper mill felt and puthem on a switch upstairs. At the beginning of the cold season I would flip the switch and leave it on until spring. I had a point at that time so I had a shalow well pump, also. Took that upstairs in the warm cuz that froze and broke wide open one time.

Robadat

Pipes were all double insulated with foam and fiberglass insulation in the areas where I had room to use both. There are areas near where they go up into the walls that are too tight to double layer and that's where I've had problems in the past. This was first time this year they froze up so I thought they were good. I was up around two this morning and ran all the faucets for a few minutes, but when I got up around six this morning everything was frozen.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Let them run, man. Keep a couple dribbling and you'll be okay.

Robadat

Yea, but first I have to get down there and get them flowing. I usually let them drip when it gets really cold here, just didn't do it last night.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I used to use electric heaters unless they were really solid. Then the torch came out.

Robadat

I have a heat gun that works really well. Don't like using a torch under there.

Strider

Not as bad as some, but we're getting our first snow today. Sleeting now, should be fun by morning. Supposed to get down to 2 degrees tomorrow night. Came home today and the downstairs unit on my 1 year old heat pump was completely down - no power to the unit or thermostat. Unfortunately my wife was upstairs all afternoon and didn't notice. Called the company and he was able to walk me through a few steps to diagnose where the problem was. Fortunately just an internal fuse that blew. Hopefully just a bad one, not a sign that something is wrong with the unit. Only cost me a few buck instead of $100+ for an after hours service call plus the time it would have taken for someone to come out. Also had 6-8 shingles blow off from high winds over the weekend. Even in good weather I don't try to get on this roof. Fortunately I was able to get someone to come over and take care of it for a reasonable amount of money (and before the snow). Been a long afternoon...

Spider

Don't take long to freeze. Yesterday afternoon, I tossed a blue light in the snow on my deck - figuring it would be ice cold by the time I got back from the store. I wasn't gone long and the bottle was froze solid.

Robadat said:
Pipes were all double insulated with foam and fiberglass insulation in the areas where I had room to use both. There are areas near where they go up into the walls that are too tight to double layer and that's where I've had problems in the past. This was first time this year they froze up so I thought they were good. I was up around two this morning and ran all the faucets for a few minutes, but when I got up around six this morning everything was frozen.