Why Trump's debate boycott may actually benefit him

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
The media commentators and pundits have made all sorts of comments regarding Donald Trump's decision to boycott tonight's debate on FOX News, but there may be some benefits for Trump that not many people may not have thought of, including:

* This is the homestretch prior to the Iowa caucuses, AND FOR MORE THAN HALF OF THOSE DAYS, there is only ONE MAJOR SUBJECT (Trump's boycott of the debate, and related issues) DOMINATING MEDIA COVERAGE, and that obviously takes away potential focus on the rest of the GOP field.

* Because of the extreme focus on Trump, such other GOP hopefuls -- such as Rand Paul and John Kasich -- are receiving little or no media attention, and the same goes for most of Trump's other challengers.

* CNN's coverage of Trump's event will have one man (Trump) center-stage, while the main FOX debate's time will be split among seven Republicans.

* Any Trump bashing that may take place in the debate will take time (and attention) away from much-needed focus on the important issues of the day -- and Trump's absence from the stage isn't one of them.

* Politicians who criticize other politicians don't usually score points with voters, so if Cruz (and others) mount significant attacks on Trump, it may backfire on them.

* The situation enables other cable networks -- such as CNN and MSNBC -- to get in some extra "digs" at FOX News.

* A good-sized percentage of regular and/or loyal FOX News viewers are already in Trump's camp. At the same time, exposure of Trump's event on CNN may lead to indirect "snubs" of FOX that will be appreciated and applauded by viewers who don't like FOX News in the first place.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I DID NOT WATCH THE DEBATE, BUT FROM WHAT I SAW ON THE LOCAL NEWS, THEY ALL SPENT AS MUCH TIME TALKING ABOUT TRUMP AS ANY TOPIC. TRUMP WINS.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
In this morning's newspaper, the main story about the debate began with about 10 consecutive paragraphs that discussed various aspects of Trump's not being there -- and related on-stage comments about Trump by the candidates who were there -- before even mentioning anything about what should be far-more-important issues.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Yeah, I'm not sure if that is a win... for Trump, maybe, but for America? Not so much.
Indeed, and as I stated earlier, here we are in the final week before the Iowa caucuses, and for much of the time, a vast amount of the media attention has been on Trump's no-show in lieu of attention on the key issues that should be of concern to the voters.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
I DID NOT WATCH THE DEBATE, BUT FROM WHAT I SAW ON THE LOCAL NEWS, THEY ALL SPENT AS MUCH TIME TALKING ABOUT TRUMP AS ANY TOPIC. TRUMP WINS.
That's what I have read, also. This makes him right again. He said in an interview that his competitors would further his campaign.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
Also, keep in mind that with only one day to organize his help-the-veterans event, Trump spoke to an overflow crowd at the same time that the debate was taking place a short distance away.