TSA Gives 10 Yr Girl Two Minute Patdown

MI2AZ

A Capri Sun juice pouch mistakenly left in a 10-year-old San Diego girl’s carry-on handbag led a TSA agent to subject the girl to almost two minutes of frisking and extra screening that lasted about an hour, her father said.

Liquids exceeding 3 ounces are not allowed in carry-on bags, for fear they might contain explosives, but the girl’s father said the resulting search was an over-reaction and an inappropriate intrusion.

Kevin Payne of Pacific Beach and his daughter, Vendela, were passing through the Raleigh-Durham International Airport on Dec. 30, 2015, headed home to San Diego, when U.S. Transportation Security Administration agents discovered the liquid.

Authorities followed up with a swab of the bag and a false-positive test for explosives, then a nearly 2-minute-long full-body pat-down in which a female TSA agent touched the girl’s buttocks and groin repeatedly.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
So I'm curious... what would a pat down like this potentially reveal that would not be seen in the xray?

livespive

Superman couldn't see through lead :)

Seriously though, I think they need to teach the agents how to deal with kids. Simply talking with the kid telling them what you are doing and why along with some small talkcan go along way. Like on the new last night they showed the girl in the wheelchair going to disney world that got patted down, she was crying and said shedidn't want to go now. You could have calmed her down simply bytalking to her as you went, hell the could keep a bowl of candy at the station for the kids when they have to do them.

Good Times Good Times

C'mon guys, remember......we pay good money (embedded in our airfare tickets) to feel this illusion of safety.

This is supposed to make you feel good! :Eek:

Robadat

Didn't see anything wrong with the actual pat down of the girl. It was thorough, but not overly intrusive. I can find no fault wjth the TSA agent who did it in a very professional manner. However, what else was done during the hour long process of getting thru security for having an illegal and highly dangerous juice pouch inside her carry on bag? It shouldn't take anywhere near that amount of time.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Didn't see anything wrong with the actual pat down of the girl. It was thorough, but not overly intrusive. I can find no fault wjth the TSA agent who did it in a very professional manner. However, what else was done during the hour long process of getting thru security for having an illegal and highly dangerous juice pouch inside her carry on bag? It shouldn't take anywhere near that amount of time.
Those were my thoughts too. I didn't see the agent being unprofessional, though I still question why it was even necessary after the xray. But at the same time, all this over a juice box? Either there is more to this story that isn't being told (1 hour interrogation for a juice box that is common for kids her age?), or the terrorists have won.

Good Times Good Times

Those were my thoughts too. I didn't see the agent being unprofessional, though I still question why it was even necessary after the xray. But at the same time, all this over a juice box? Either there is more to this story that isn't being told (1 hour interrogation for a juice box that is common for kids her age?), or the terrorists have won.
I believe the terrorists have won. They have altered our society in such a profound way our protocols are now retarded.

JLS

"Liquids exceeding 3 ounces are not allowed in carry-on bags, for fear they might contain explosives, but the girl’s father said the resulting search was an over-reaction and an inappropriate intrusion"

Is this not the LAW...But the asshole for a father thinks he is above the Law....We all have to OBEY this rules...

I'm assuming this asshole is White...That is why there is a big fuss over this...

I wonder...if they were Muslim's if this would have made the news...

IMO...The Father and Mother both should have been charged...It is their duty to make sure all members
of their party are following the law...

They should have bent both of them over and shined a light up their fuxxcking fat ass's...

NO LIQUIDS EXCEEDING # OZ. ALLOWED...

This is not rocket science...

livespive

This is true, while not a liquid, my cousin plays gags on her nephew for Christmas, she was able to open up a bag of his Cheetos and put his money in it then seal it back....

What if they did something like that with a juice box????

"Liquids exceeding 3 ounces are not allowed in carry-on bags, for fear they might contain explosives, but the girl’s father said the resulting search was an over-reaction and an inappropriate intrusion"

Is this not the LAW...But the asshole for a father thinks he is above the Law....We all have to OBEY this rules...

I'm assuming this asshole is White...That is why there is a big fuss over this...

I wonder...if they were Muslim's if this would have made the news...

IMO...The Father and Mother both should have been charged...It is their duty to make sure all members
of their party are following the law...

They should have bent both of them over and shined a light up their fuxxcking fat ass's...

NO LIQUIDS EXCEEDING # OZ. ALLOWED...

This is not rocket science...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
So take the juice box and throw it away, or make Dad drink it, assuming no other red flags are raised (like dad being on a watch list or something). People always pack snacks/drinks for kids. A 10 year old with a juice box wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

And to the question about if she were muslim... she'd have not been bothered, likely sent on her way WITH the juice box to avoid any backlash for "profiling". But since she's white, fuck her. White people can't say shit, and the TSA get to look like they're being hard asses protecting everyone! :rolleyes:

Before anyone starts with the "Timothy McVeigh" defense, IF she was trying to rent a Uhaul while packing fertilizer then OK, search the hell out of her. :Cautious: But for juicy juice discovered before getting anywhere near the plane? :confused:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
OK, back to giving TSA the benefit of doubt... can anyone explain how a "false positive" for explosive material could come about from unadulterated juice? And why not run a second test to confirm? Or is that what took an hour, stalling for a more thorough test to be completed?

livespive

The juice box is what triggered the search. Yes the same thing could have happend if the other agent was in something else like Timothy McVeigh.....

And as for you white people comment, I think most of the people that wanted all of this security were white????!?!??:Biggrin:;)

I think the search was justified. Like JLS said, you know the rules before you get on the plane. If they wanted juice they should have bought it after they were in the secure area. There is plenty of juice there.....

No excuse, they were just trying to save money and it bit them in the ass.

So take the juice box and throw it away, or make Dad drink it, assuming no other red flags are raised (like dad being on a watch list or something). People always pack snacks/drinks for kids. A 10 year old with a juice box wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

And to the question about if she were muslim... she'd have not been bothered, likely sent on her way WITH the juice box to avoid any backlash for "profiling". But since she's white, fuck her. White people can't say shit, and the TSA get to look like they're being hard asses protecting everyone! :rolleyes:

Before anyone starts with the "Timothy McVeigh" defense, IF she was trying to rent a Uhaul while packing fertilizer then OK, search the hell out of her. :Cautious: But for juicy juice discovered before getting anywhere near the plane? :confused:

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
lol You're probably right about the white people crying for more security, then bitching when it is applied to them! :Biggrin:

Robadat

9~,
There are many common everyday products that can trigger "false positive" results for explosives. It may not have been the juice box itself that set off the detector, they scanned the bag it was found in. Many soaps, shampoos and hand lotions that have glycerine in them can trigger one. Problem is that the scanner technology at this time can not discern common safe items from explosive materials when there are certain chemicals (glycerine) in them.

As almost always, this increased scrutiny was caused by the travellor not heeding the warnings about what is or isn't permissible to carry on and having a banned article on them.

My only real beef here is with the drastically increased time delay involved. An enhanced screening due to mistakenly bringing in a "banned" juice box should not take an hour or more to be completed.

livespive

Is a scan like that of any other person supposed to take an hour?
If so then they have to deal with it.

9~,
There are many common everyday products that can trigger "false positive" results for explosives. It may not have been the juice box itself that set off the detector, they scanned the bag it was found in. Many soaps, shampoos and hand lotions that have glycerine in them can trigger one. Problem is that the scanner technology at this time can not discern common safe items from explosive materials when there are certain chemicals (glycerine) in them.

As almost always, this increased scrutiny was caused by the travellor not heeding the warnings about what is or isn't permissible to carry on and having a banned article on them.

My only real beef here is with the drastically increased time delay involved. An enhanced screening due to mistakenly bringing in a "banned" juice box should not take an hour or more to be completed.

Robadat

Is a scan like that of any other person supposed to take an hour?
If so then they have to deal with it.
Don't know whether or not an hour is the norm for an enhanced screening such as the one that occurred in this instance due to a juice box, but if it is, it's much too long.

JLS

Obey the dam rules....When the police say Stop....Stop...When the rules for flying say no liquids over 3 oz....No liquids over 3 oz...

These parents are what use to be the under 30 crowd...you know the assholes that gave Obama...

They drink Star Bucks, shop at Amazon.com, are tree huggars, and suck Seagulls...

To them rules are for everyone else...not them...

Like I said....Too bad the agents didn't bend both of them over and shine a light up their ass's...