Massive Sink Hole In Japan Repaired In One Week

MI2AZ

"Blink and you'll miss it," the Guardian declared. Er, maybe not. After around-the-clock work reverted what was a massive sinkhole into a driveable section of road in Fukuoka, Japan, in just a week, the road seems to be sinking once more. The BBC reports the road sank by 2.7 inches on Saturday, which officials describe as "within expectations." Even so, a portion of the road was closed for part of the day.

BEFORE AND AFTER

The Guardian reported earlier this month that after the hole—which opened up on Nov. 8—was filled with roughly 220,000 cubic feet of sand and cement in 48 hrs, the mayor proclaimed the ground underneath 30 times stronger than before. Local officials now suggest the substance used to fill the hole potentially compressed the soil at the hole's base, hence the new drop. CNN reports Mayor Soichiro Takashima posted an apology on Facebook for not explaining more sinking was possible. The road is currently open.

https://multimedia.guardianapis.com/interactivevideos/video.php?octopusid=11846541&format=video/mp4

Wonder how long a sink hole like that would take to get repaired in the USA?

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
It would be filled immediately with political promises to resolve the issue. Due to the transparency of our government, the hole would still be visible even after being filled by said political promises.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
So the U.N. would fill it?
Not exactly... they'd stand back and allow the US to fill it with our political promises while verbally "supporting" our efforts - providing very little in the way of actual man power or financial aid.

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
The sinkhole opened up on Nov. 8, so can there be a link to that happenstance and the election of Donald Trump?

Scolai

Meanwhile here in NC, we have sinkholes all over town due to Hurricane Matthew that are still plaguing us a month after the fact. I'm talking about sinkholes that are no bigger than a few feet across...

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Meanwhile here in NC, we have sinkholes all over town due to Hurricane Matthew that are still plaguing us a month after the fact. I'm talking about sinkholes that are no bigger than a few feet across...
I've heard places in Florida have trouble with this too, often with holes big enough to swallow a house. Saw a show on tv (so you know it's true!) they said property owners do not test (I think a form of sonar or perhaps another imaging technology) their property for potential sinkholes. Obviously because if they find one, their property value tanks.

sevenpin63

Addicted Member
com·i·ty
ˈkämitē/
noun
noun: comity; plural noun: comities
  1. 1.
    courtesy and considerate behavior toward others.
  2. 2.
    an association of nations for their mutual benefit.
Wow, for a moment I thought i was back on BR. with all the trolls.
But maybe when I use my phone, spell check sometimes picks the word for me and I don't notice.
But I can only hope to be as perfect as you.
Carry on.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Around here, they just wait till cars falk in. Enough cars fall in, then they'd fill with a little dirt and they just might pave it.