In its early stages, it was tough to sell Super Bowl tickets for $20

AlwaysWrite

Addicted Member
I just noticed a story that indicated that the average price for a 2017 Super Bowl ticket is $4,744. And that reminded me of the time frame prior to Super Bowl III, which was the event in 1969 that featured the upset victory by Joe Namath and the New York Jets over the prohibitive favorite Baltimore Colts.

There's certainly nothing similar any more, but that season, because the Super Bowl was to be held in Miami, each sports department of major Florida newspapers had the option to purchase a bloc of up to 20 Super Bowl tickets
for only $20 per ticket.

John Brockmann (then sports editor of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune) and I plunked down $200 apiece, and we received our 20 tickets. We assumed that we'd have no trouble selling them, but we were wrong. Five members of our sports staff took a total of 11 tickets (including some for wives, friends or family members), and we were able to sell six of the remaining nine tickets to non-newspaper people, but we had to "eat" the cost of three of the tickets, even though they were valued at only $20 each.

Unbelievable, but true!