Chipotle Forces Workers To Work Without Pay

MI2AZ

Chipotle continues to find a cockroach in its chicken burrito, metaphorically speaking. It lost its spot as America's top Mexican restaurant, illegally fired an employee over critical tweets, and saw one of its executives busted for allegedly buying cocaine. Not to mention myriad outbreaks of E. coli and norovirus. Now, nearly 10,000 current and former employees are suing the restaurant over alleged wage theft, CNN reports. "Chipotle routinely requires hourly-paid restaurant employees to punch out, and then continue working until they are given permission to leave," the class action lawsuit states. Lawyers for the plaintiffs say they've found victims in nearly every state where Chipotle operates, though the restaurant denies any wrongdoing.

Leah Turner, a former manager at a Colorado Chipotle, started the lawsuit. She says she was told to work off the clock and have her employees do the same so the restaurant could make budget goals. She also had to go to meetings after work while off the clock, Eater reports. The alleged wage theft mostly happens at closing after workers are automatically clocked out then forced to stay to clean and prep. But at least one employee says she was told to clock out and keep working during busy days. According to CNBC, bad news has dropped sales at Chipotle by 30%. On Tuesday, the company announced it would be offering free drinks to students and free kids meals to families in September to win back customers.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
HOW IN THE HELL ARE THE EXECS SUPPOSED TO BUY COCAINE IF THEY HAVE TO PAY THE EMPLOYEES. THATS JUST COMMON SINCE. GEESH.

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
Well, the first person to comply with this demand is the idiot. If any of my bosses would have demanded that I stay after punch out a very quick and decisive FUCK YOU would have been in order.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
Well, the first person to comply with this demand is the idiot. If any of my bosses would have demanded that I stay after punch out a very quick and decisive FUCK YOU would have been in order.
+1. And a call to the cops if they try to keep me against my will. Or maybe an old fashioned ass whoopin' if they tried to stop me from making that call. They only do it because people let them do it. Maybe I'm just lucky I've never been desperate enough to need a shitty job that bad?

Greg T.

The Jizz Slinger
+1. And a call to the cops if they try to keep me against my will. Or maybe an old fashioned ass whoopin' if they tried to stop me from making that call. They only do it because people let them do it. Maybe I'm just lucky I've never been desperate enough to need a shitty job that bad?
That's the problem with society today. People are always offended or bitching about something all the while they're enabling it. Why would ONE person even punch their card and continue to work? I believe anyone who did this deserved what they got.

livespive

I remember doing it a long time ago, when I worked at a pizza chain.

Our supervisor didn't like that they were doing it, so he would let us make anything we wanted to take home.
Depending on what you made, that was almost a days pay:Biggrin:

That's the problem with society today. People are always offended or bitching about something all the while they're enabling it. Why would ONE person even punch their card and continue to work? I believe anyone who did this deserved what they got.

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
I AGREE WITH 9 AND G. IF YOU LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT, SHAME ON YOU. AND IN THE SAME CASE AS LIVE (MAYBE), MOST OF THOSE EMPLOYEES WERE TEENAGERS WHO DIDNT REALLY DIDNT KNOW BETTER.

livespive

Yeah, Most didn't, but I had did the math one day on what I took, vs my hourly pay.
I had taken home $50 worth of stuff, and back then I was only working part time.

Didn't mind it for what I got, we stayed an extra hour and a half at the most sometimes.
Granted the pizza place didn't pay $50 for the stuff, but if we were going to buy it that's what it would have cost.

Now as an adult I would have documented it, and made some real cash :D

I AGREE WITH 9 AND G. IF YOU LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT, SHAME ON YOU. AND IN THE SAME CASE AS LIVE (MAYBE), MOST OF THOSE EMPLOYEES WERE TEENAGERS WHO DIDNT REALLY DIDNT KNOW BETTER.

Djarum300

Addicted Member
Problem is people fear losing a job.

I remember a few years back Walmart got sued for doing the same thing.