Cabbie Returns Lost $187K, Gets $100 Reward

MI2AZ

A man who left about $187,000 cash in a Boston taxi has been reunited with his money thanks to an honest cabbie, police say. Raymond "Buzzy" MacCausland, a driver for the Independent Taxi Operators Association, picked up a fare with a cast on one leg on Saturday. "He told me he was homeless and had been living in a shelter for six months," MacCausland tells the AP. At one point, the man got out of the cab to meet a friend intending to return, leaving a bag behind, McCausland says. The 72-year-old driver waited about 30 minutes, but the man didn't return. So, he drove to the man's hotel to look for him.

Unable to find the man, even with the help of the hotel staff, MacCausland looked in the bag for identification. There he found three bundles of $50 and $100 dollar bills. He immediately drove to police headquarters to turn in the cash. Police found paperwork indicating that the money was part of an inheritance. "To me that was a relief," MacCausland says. "Because I know if it wasn't they'd come looking for me." The cabbie tells the New York Daily News that he's "never been a crook" and he would never have kept the money, though he wasn't thrilled that its owner gave him a reward of just $100. He says that around 30 years ago, a fare he drove to the airport left a briefcase containing $10,000 behind and gave him no reward at all after getting the money back.

livespive

I guess the only reason why I would not have taken it was that the guy was homeless. This was probably his life savings.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
I guess the only reason why I would not have taken it was that the guy was homeless. This was probably his life savings.
My first thought was he was one of the "homeless" shown on that 60 minutes show (or whichever program aired it)... you know, the ones that hold the sign at the stoplight, then drive their new Mercedes home to a gold plated mansion while laughing at all the fools who give him his free (unreportable, tax-free!) ride.

livespive

Nah, that would have been a hell of a days worth of work :Biggrin:
If he pulls that much, sign me up.

Even the people that loose houses due to natural disasters. The only thing left is insurance (if they have it) and what's in the bank.
If they don't have enough in the bank to get shelter, then they are stuck. Now granted, this guy could have done something.

My first thought was he was one of the "homeless" shown on that 60 minutes show (or whichever program aired it)... you know, the ones that hold the sign at the stoplight, then drive their new Mercedes home to a gold plated mansion while laughing at all the fools who give him his free (unreportable, tax-free!) ride.

MI2AZ

According to the story, the guy had inherited the money. Since he is homeless, he probably doesn't have a bank account so may be why he had it all in cash on him and may be why he gave such a low reward - to him, $100 is a small fortune. :)

livespive

True,

I would have a bank account now :)

You figure the executor of the will would have helped him some.

According to the story, the guy had inherited the money. Since he is homeless, he probably doesn't have a bank account so may be why he had it all in cash on him and may be why he gave such a low reward - to him, $100 is a small fortune. :)

WAMO

Spanking His Monkey
MOST HOMELESS FOLKS DONT STAY IN ONE PLACE VERY LONG. NOT ALL BANKS ARE IN EVERYTOWN. AND MI2 IS PROBABLY RIGHT, $100 TO THAT GUY SEEMED LIKE ALOT OF MONEY.