2.3M Reply To Job Posting

bbfreeburn

This reminds me of when I first got my teaching certificate in 1973. For those who don't remember, there was a shortage of teachers in the late 60's and lots of folks got certified. I applied for one of 2 positions at a middle sized high school. I was on or 1800 applicants.

9andaWiggle

Addicted Member
High unemployment doesn't tell the whole story. Much of India lives in poverty. When we visited Mumbai, Tiruppur, and Bangalore back in 2009, I was told many people lived on $2 (US) or less per day. So $240 a month would be a monumental increase for millions of people. It would be like going from minimum wage to $70,000/yr here.

MI2AZ

I live in a small town with no industry. Back around 2000, a new store was opening up and was advertising $14/hr jobs. They had so many applicants (hundreds) that they were surprised. Applicants were underbidding each other so much ( "I'll work for $13", "I'll work for $12") that the store ended up changing the wages to about $8/hr and filled all the openings.

MI2AZ

Too many people willing to work for less, especially since it was mostly part-time work. Wives of military and retirees looking for part-time jobs - they didn't need to be primary wage-earners.